In Ethiopian with our dear friends the Andersons, who happened to travel to pick up their two children the very same week!
Dad, Mom, Zoey Abebu, and Tatem Mesay outside of the guest house in Ethiopia
Going Home~finally with all 5 kiddos in tow at the airport! I have decided along with you that I am a terrible blogger post adoption. Life has been crazy here with lots of "extras" to add to the craziness. I thought that it was busy just adjusting to having 5 kids, getting everyone everything that they needed to start the school year, and just helping all 5 kids to work out the adjustments of meshing them all together but then came "LICE HELL" and I mean hell. It has been no fun and will not be funny for a long time! I thought that I was just being such a good mom by "preventing" a possible problem of lice with Zoey and Tatem in Africa just in case! I shampooed the kids the day we got them and the day we left for home, I didn't think we had any issues though. I didn't realize that I needed to go through the kids hair strand by strand and look for eggs and then pull them out the eggs if found. Anyway after being home about a week and a half lice was found at Zoey and Tatem's well check. I don't think I have bawled so much because of the amount of forever cleaning, laundry, and vacuuming that have been about enough to send me over the edge! Poor Zoey! We have put her through quite a hair fiasco. We shampooed her twice again, dyed her hair twice (thanks to Karen, the lice expert) this was the only way to completely get rid of the nits, and we cut Zoey's hair very short to allow us to get through it. Wade wisked Tatem off to the barber to be shaved. Lice Hell has involved endless loads of laundry at home and still not keeping up with it, another $250 in laundromat services at the "Wife Saver Laundromat" that my dear husband found after I called him at work and just unloaded as kids were screaming in the background and I bawled, daily bed linen washings in hot water for 7 people 6 days straight, endless mattress vacuuming, spider bites on Blake and I from sleeping on the floor for 6 nights to the point that the dermatologist scrapped our bites to make sure we didn't have ring work last week, about 30 yard bags of pillows, bedding, rugs, everything fabric in our home sitting and hopefully suffocating any blasted nit or bug around in our office. We are coming out of LICE HELL hopefully this weekend. We are so excited to get our pillows and bedding back after having everything bagged up for the last 2 weeks and bed will never feel so awesome!!
We have also had some health scares with Zoey in the past couple of weeks also to the point of lots of blood work, doctor visits, and a scare of long-term illnesses. Praise God, Zoey's blood work as well as Tatem's have come back very good! There was a concern that Tatem had Hepatitis as well but that is not the case either. We are still working through some medical issues with Zoey but we are hoping that the medicine that she is on will help to clear things up and we have a re-check in a couple of weeks. Please pray for healing for Zoey and that there will not be any more health concerns for her.
I have many pictures to include. Among all that has been going on we have been finding many moments of laughter and fun experiencing new adventures with Zoey and Tatem. They both are very loving and affectionate and seem to be very happy. As I look forward I feel we will be the ones that are blessed down the road. I will be honest as well to say that this is the hardest thing Wade and I have ever done and each day has many challenges. We have appreciated the support of our great friends and family. We have felt so covered in prayer and all of the support and meals have been humbling, thank you so much and I will try to be a better blogger!! More pictures to come very soon!! Shonda


1 comment:
Oh Shonda! I feel for you SO much. My best friend here recently went through "Lice Hell" with her 3 kids -- while she was 9 months pregnant! I helped her with all the work because she couldn't do anything but the hair combing. No one who hasn't gone through it can truly grasp the enormity of the task -- the laundry, the bedding, the never-ending hair combing, the psychosomatic scalp itch. But I bet your house has never been so clean!
Your children are absolutely beautiful -- I can't wait for more photos! Did you happen to meet a 3 year-old named "Shimeles" at Sele Enat? We're still waiting on a court date, but he's ours!
Congratulations, and welcome home!
:-)
Jen.
Post a Comment